If you have been following me for a while now then you know that I try to make a costume for my daughter every year that starts out with a basic cotton shirt dress. If you are new around here then you can catch up on her struggles HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE (and her latest update HERE). She has gotten so much better but a lot of the clothing preferences still remain. She would never comfortably wear one of the store bought costumes with the itchy fabrics, seams, labels and velcro. They are just sensory overload for her. And I love coming up with easy costume ideas with her. We always know that nobody will look like her.
Easy and unique sad Harlequin costume
- tights HERE or HERE
- bow tie (I made my own)
- I made my own pom-poms with THIS pom-pom maker and black wool (HERE) – Read more about my pom pom making tips and tricks HERE
- white wig
- face paint
- face paint brushes
- white shirt
- black hat
- striped hat (I made my own)
I attached the pom-poms and bow with safety pins to the shirt but sewed the white pom-pom onto the paper party hat. I made mine because we had some party hats left from last new years. So all I had to to do is paint one black. The rest is all make-up and wig and it’s a very easy make-up in my opinion.
1. start with clean face and braids – 2. paint the entire face white and let it dry completely
3. paint an oversized red mouth and little red nose – 4. outline the mouth in black (I used an old eyeliner brush to apply the black face paint)
5. paint the bottom part of the black eyes – 6. paint the upper black part of the eyes
7. paint three tears on the side of the face – 8. pin up braids and put wig cap over hair (comes with the wig)
9. put on wig and pigtails – 10. pin hat on top of the big and slightly on an angle
She absolutely loves this wig and it’s our own spin on this costume idea.
Saving photos to Pinterest is always the biggest favor you can do for me 😉
• • • • • • • • • • • • •
She is so happy with her costume and even won 1. place at her school’s Halloween dance.
Check out other costume ideas below: