I get a lot of questions about my starburst that is hanging over my mirror in the living room right now. My piece was bought by me at an estate auction and while browsing 1stdibs the other day, I came across these beautiful Curtis Jeré wall sculptures.
Vintage Curtis Jeré wall sculptures
This post may contain affiliate links from which I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
View my full disclosure policy.
Who was Curtis Jeré
Curtis Jeré was actually not just one person. Curtis Jere is a compound nom-de-plume of artists Curtis Freiler and Jerry Fels. The two founders combined pieces of their own names to create the C. Jeré signature. They were metal sculptors and designers who were known for creating mid-century modern metal wall sculptures. They worked with a variety of materials, including brass, steel, and other metals, to create intricate and abstract designs. The Curtis Jeré work was popular in the 1960s and 1970s and is still sought after by collectors today. Their pieces were marketed by the corporation Artisan House.
How to identify Curtis Jeré
It’s always important to be cautious when buying art. By following the below tips, you can increase your chances of buying an authentic Curtis Jeré wall sculpture.
- Look for the signature: Most Curtis Jeré sculptures are signed with the C. Jeré signature (more to that coming up). This signature is usually placed on the back or bottom of the piece and is a key factor in authenticating a Curtis Jeré sculpture.
- Study the style: Curtis Jeré was known for his mid-century modern metal wall sculptures, which are characterized by their intricate and abstract designs. Take note of the overall aesthetic of the piece and compare it to other known Curtis Jeré sculptures to determine if it fits with the artist’s style.
- Check the materials: Curtis Jeré worked with a variety of materials, including brass, steel, and other metals. Look for high-quality materials and finishes, as well as attention to detail in the design.
- Examine the age: Curtis Jeré was most active in the 1960s and 1970s, so a piece that was made during that time period is more likely to be an authentic Curtis Jeré sculpture.
- Seek an expert opinion: If you are not sure whether a piece is an authentic Curtis Jeré sculpture, consider seeking the opinion of an expert in the field. Art dealers, appraisers, and curators can help you determine the authenticity of a piece and its value.
Are all Curtis Jerésculptures signed?
Most Curtis Jeré sculptures are signed with the C. Jeré signature. This signature was usually placed on the back or bottom of the piece and is a key factor in authenticating a Curtis Jeré sculpture. However, it’s possible that some older or less well-known pieces may not be signed, and it’s always a good idea to have an expert authenticate a sculpture before making a purchase.
It’s also worth noting that there are some pieces being sold as Curtis Jeré sculptures that are not authentic, so it’s important to be cautious when buying these works of art.
Aren’t these Curtis Jere wall art pieces stunning? And pricey! I’m of course wondering if my burst could be one of them. but haven’t found any signature on mine. Regardless, I love mine and since I only bought it for $25 it also doesn’t matter if it is authentic or not. It sure would be a major score if it was authentic.
As you can see, I love moving my wall sculpture around for different looks. It’s one of my favorite pieces I ever found while thrifting.
What was the most expensive Curtis Jeré piece that ever sold
The most expensive piece of Curtis Jeré art ever sold is not publicly known. The value of an artwork can depend on various factors, such as its rarity, condition, size, and historical significance, as well as market demand and current market conditions. Art auctions and private sales are often not disclosed to the public, so the prices paid for Curtis Jeré pieces can only be estimated. However, given the popularity and collectibility of Curtis Jeré’s work, it’s safe to say that some of his pieces have likely sold for high prices over the years. The prices shown above show only what is publicly known.
Curtis Jeré wall sculpture look for less
You can find similar metal wall sculptures for less at various stores. I gathered some of them for you to check out.
Do you like them?