The best affordable heated cat houses
Fellow cat lovers, do you guys remember my DIY heated cat house for our poor porch kitty? She was such a special cat and I will miss her forever.
I get questions about that one “heated igloo” that I built for her all the time and people are struggling with finding the right combination of parts for the project so I gathered some finished outdoor heated cat houses for sale that I thought some of you might love.
The best affordable heated cat houses
This post may contain affiliate links from which I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
View my full disclosure policy.
First of all, if you have a cat as a pet, please don’t leave it outside in frigid temperatures. Keep your furry family members inside and warm and that pertains to dogs too. This roundup is meant for feral cats or cats that were possibly dumped by others.
Can cats freeze to death?
Yes, cats can freeze to death if they are exposed to extremely cold temperatures for an extended period of time. Cats are susceptible to hypothermia, which occurs when their body temperature drops below normal levels. This can happen if they are outside without proper protection from the elements, especially in extreme weather conditions such as heavy snow or extremely low temperatures.
It’s important to provide outdoor cats with adequate shelter and protection from the cold, such as a heated cat house or insulated outdoor shelter. Additionally, as I stated already, it’s a good idea to bring outdoor cats indoors, if you can, during extremely cold weather, especially if temperatures are expected to be below freezing for an extended period of time.
My favorite heated cat houses
- I had to start with this wooden, elevated cat house. This insulated cat house is for those of you who don’t have an electrical source. So it isn’t heated but is a great option for isolated areas where no electricity is available.
- This one is another great option for people who don’t have electricity for their stray cats but want to give them protection from the elements. Just add a pad that is self-heating with body temperature. The great thing is that it has two entry/exit points which is what a lot of strays and ferals want so they can escape a potentially dangerous situation/confrontation with other outdoor animals.
- This heated birchwood cat house with a clear door gives the cats a view of the outside to make them feel safe and warm.
- Another outdoor heated kitty house with two entry/exit points.
- Unique A-Frame heated outdoor cat house with two entry/exit points.
- This weather-resistant, extra-wide, and waterproof heated cat house is safety certified and has been tested by MET Labs, and exceeds USA/CA electrical safety standards which is something I love.
- Large-sized heated outdoor cat house that is weatherproof with a heating pad.
- This is another elevated, waterproof, and insulated heated cathouse to keep the kitties dry and warm. It has a 100% waterproof roof, and base and keeps the cats away from any water with the elevated feature.
Aren’t they all great? Not everyone DIYs the way I do and they are certainly a great solution for keeping those poor outdoor strays warm during the harsh winters.
Things to consider
- Maintenance: Heated cat houses may require regular cleaning and maintenance to ensure they are working properly.
- Power Requirements: Heated cat houses typically require electricity to operate, which may not be available in all outdoor locations.
- Safety Concerns: There is a risk of fire or electrical shock if the heated cat house is not used properly. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
More of my other cat DIY posts
- purrfectly cute DIY hanging cat bed using macrame cord
- amazing DIY cat litter box enclosure
- how to build an outdoor cat tunnel
- How to get cats to stop scratching furniture
- unique cat fence topper system with peephole
- cat decorating made easy with my cat-friendly decorating tips
- outdoor cat enclosures connected to house
- DIY cat cage
I’m picking up my mom from the airport tomorrow. She’ll be here visiting from Germany for 2 weeks. So if I’m not posting regularly, that’s why.
Have a great weekend my friends.
how cute is the little a-line!
Who knew there were so many adorable cat houses out there?!