After Christmas, I decided that it was time to get our 17-year-old daughter a new bed. She had simply outgrown the bed in her room, the mattress was cheap foam and uncomfortable. My daughter knew she wanted a channel tufted bed. I tried to send her in the direction of a cane or rattan bed simply because I wanted something that was easier to keep clean since she isn’t the cleanest teen. And yeah I wasn’t either at her age.
When I was searching for channel tufted beds with her, I thought the options we found would be a great blog post too.
What is a channel tufted bed?
A channel tufted bed is made up of evenly spaced vertical, horizontal, or arched upholstered channels. Each channel is filled with upholstery foam or memory foam to create a soft and plush surface which makes it very comfortable to lean or lounge against while laying in bed.
Channel tufting has been trending and can give the room a retro feeling, modern look, or even Hollywood regency vibe depending on what look you want.
15 stunning upholstered channel tufted beds
- The Avalon channel stitch upholstered bed comes in Twin, Full, Queen, and King sizes and many different color options.
- The Forte channeled bed comes in Queen, King, and California King and 4 different fabric options and colors.
- You can get a half-round option like the Arches channel upholstered bed. I just love the shape and it’s available in Twin, Full, and Queen, and many different colors and fabric options.
- This Queen channel tufted platform bed with brass nail trim is pretty and very feminine especially since it’s only available in this beautiful shade of pale pink.
- This beautiful velvet polyester channel tufted wingback bed is my daughter’s favorite. The Lana platform bed comes in a white Queen bed (ships free with Prime) or a pink, dusty rose, or gray version.
- The Lexi channel tufted upholstered bed comes in Queen and King sizes. You can choose from frost white, light blush, and nickel gray fabrics.
- This Arched Channel Tufted Bed is another great half-round option with more channels compared to #3. This upholstered velvet bed with deep channel tufting and clear acrylic legs comes in 4 different colors – pink, cream, gray, and navy.
- This upholstered contemporary velvet channel tufted wingback platform bed has slightly larger channels than the other beds. The slightly curved matching footboard makes stand out. It is available in Queen and King sizes and 5 different color options.
- Gotta love the bed’s name alone. The Julia upholstered bed has luxe velvet channel tufted upholstery on the head and footboard. We would have bought this one in the white boucle but it is unfortunately out of stock. Other available colors are blue, blush, turquoise, ivory, charcoal, and green in Queen and King sizes.
- The Vienna bed is one of the most expensive channel tufted beds on my list and is made to order. It is available in many beautiful colored velvet fabrics and features an extra tall headboard in Full, Queen, King, and California King sizes.
- The Omax decor Bella modern fabric upholstered channel Queen platform bed (that’s a mouth full) in forest green is one of my favorites because of the deep green color. My daughter wanted white though. I just love this bed!
- The Villa Cherie velvet channel tufted bed is available in Queen, King, and California King in one color. It has a very traditional shape and is another more expensive option.
- The SAFAVIEH Rosabella channel tufted bed in gray velvet is available in Queen and King sizes.
- The Feehley upholstered platform bed has a very unique flower peddle pattern shaped channel tufted velvet headboard. I am so in love with the color and shape of this unique bed which comes in beige and this bean paste red in Full/Double and Queen sizes.
- The Olivia Queen performance velvet channel tufted platform bed is another one of my daughter’s favorites. It is available in dusty rose and white.
RELATED: I made her an upholstered headboard before and I’m now very sad that we sold it. I wrote a blog post about how to make an upholstered headboard with nailhead trim in case you want to check it out.
The new channel tufted bed in our daughter’s room
This post may contain affiliate links from which I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.
View my full disclosure policy.
So here is her new white upholstered channel tufted bed. It is number 5 on the above list. Yes, I was scared to buy a white bed especially since her favorite kitty (Walter) is black and he sleeps with her all the time. But I decided to just let her do her thing and the bed wasn’t that expensive. So let’s see how it will wear. So far we had it for 4 weeks and it’s been holding up great.
The decor and how it’s put together is all her. I’m not going to lie, I’d love to add different pillows, throws, or a rug and she doesn’t want any of it. We still have the rug that used to be in here and I love it so much but she doesn’t want it. You can see what I’m talking about in my blog post about teenage girl bedroom ideas for cheap.
I found the disco ball pillow at Target in the dollar section a week ago. We love it but it’s unfortunately not available anymore. I found a slightly bigger version on Amazon. I also wrote a blog post about fun throw pillows for a teenage girl for more ideas.
If you are wondering about the mattress? I bought a simple Novaform 12″ Queen Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress from BJs and we are really happy with it. If you don’t have a BJ’s or Costco membership, this mattress at Wayfair comes close to being the same mattress in features and price.
We were able to keep the gold swing arm lamps in the same spot for all the different versions of her room which is crazy that it worked out that way.
My daughter’s room before with the old antique bed
I brought the French antique bed with me from Germany. I love that bed so much, it’s a long story. I’ve always been into home decor and when I was a teenager, my boyfriend’s mom was a French artist and antiques dealer. I went to France with his family and while we were at an estate sale I bought this bed for 15 Franc which is nothing. The problem is that the bed is from the 1800s and shorter than regular beds which also means that you can’t buy regular mattresses for it. So when I brought it here to the US, I had a custom foam mattress made for it. I have to point out that the mattress didn’t fit standard sheets either. It was a struggle.
The bed was perfect for a while for my son and then my daughter but now it was time for her to have her own big Queen size bed again after her brother snatched up the mattress for her Queen sized headboard.
You can see in the before photos how pretty that bed looked.
DIY channel tufted headboard options
If you want a certain size channel tufted headboard or a specific shape or color that you can’t find then making one yourself is definitely an option.
The DIY options I’m showing you have one thing in common though. They don’t have a curved shape to each channel like the bed that we bought has. That would be a lot harder to make yourself.
DIY channel tufted headboard with wingback detail
My friend Jewel made this beautiful velvet DIY channel headboard that looks like a channel tufted bed due to the matching bed skirt. I did the same thing when I made my daughter’s turquoise velvet headboard. A matching custom bedskirt can make all the difference if you go with a headboard.
Jewel just revealed the new look of the bedroom this week with the same headboard. Here you can see that the DIY channeled headboard has a slight wingback shape. Check out the full tutorial and her new reveal. Love her unique style.
Simple and affordable DIY channel tufted headboard
This tutorial on how to create a channel tufted headboard shows how easily you can make one yourself. If you can upholster a rectangular shape then you can certainly make this headboard too.
This YouTube video is pretty much a replica of the above headboard in the same color and shape. It is made for $400 or less.
DIY arched channel tufted headboard
If you want to DIY an arched channel tufted headboard, this tutorial using pool noodles is pretty mindblowing. (there is a reel in her profile showing a video of how she made it)
She also used a box spring that she upholstered to make it look like a custom channel tufted bed instead of a simple headboard.
I do have to say that some of the channel tufted bed options above are so affordable that if you bought all the supplies to make it yourself, you’ll end up at the same price and you have less hassle putting it together.
Last night I showed her the collage of all the beds we looked at for her latest version of her room. She said that she loves the one we bought the best. I’m so glad because that is the way it should be.
You might also like my favorite cheap queen platform beds that we were looking at for our son’s room.