I would not call this a tutorial since most upholstery pieces are slightly different in some way and I learned along the way.
I had many mishaps during this project.
One of my most nosy cats got stuck in the frame while exploring and she was really panicking too. It took me a while to get her out:
Another major thing I just noticed three nights ago is that I lost all the photos of the disassembly process which is in true Julia (Youleeya) fashion. I paid such attention to the disassembly process and even sketched it out which so came in handy. It took such a long time to take this chaise apart.
And my knuckles looked like this after removing all the staples with the upholstery pliers:
I was glad to have my little sketch to show me what to do when it was time to put it back together. And it is my biggest advice to anyone who wants to attempt to upholster anything: PAY ATTENTION TO THE DISASSEMBLY PROCESS. 🙂 Ok?
And I’m trying to share some of the details of what I actually did.
I had to learn several things along the way and I’m glad my blog friends were there to share their experiences with me. My first issue was trying to find a sewing machine foot to sew the piping. I’m glad I listened to my friends who told me that a zipper foot would work too and it sure did:
|Click HERE for a great tutorial on how to sew welt cording.|
Another one was finding sturdy upholstery buttons. The ones you can find at the craft and fabric store are made out of plastic and I didn’t want that. I know I was going to have to put a lot of pressure on them and was afraid that plastic couldn’t handle it. So I asked around and my friend Jennifer from “Dimples & Tangles” told me to just have them made at a local upholstery shop since they have the large metal button presses.
I was lucky to find a local upholstery shop in town. I could have stuck around there for days to acquire some knowledge from the nice owner who does some amazing work.
He made me the buttons: