Quartz Pink Dresser Makeover
I prepped and painted it the same way I have explained so many times before:
- I gave everything a good sanding
- Followed by some cleaning with TSP or Krud Kutter degreasers.
- When it was completely dried after the cleaning, I wiped it with a tack cloth (such an important step).
- I taped everything off that I didn’t want to get painted.
- Then I used Kilz spray primer (my favorite primer) on the taped drawers and dresser body.
- When the primer dried, I ran a very fine sandpaper over it again.
- Then I wiped it down with a tack cloth again.
- After that it was time to paint and I’m glad I used my HomeRight sprayer, it just gave everything such a nice smooth and professional look.
- I applied two coats of the Valspar Ultra 4000 Quartz Pink and then followed that with three coats of General Finishes Water Based High Performance Polyurethane (Semi-Gloss). Between every coat I used the fine sandpaper again followed by the tack cloth to avoid any dust, bugs, hair or drips to ruin my paint job.
You are probably wondering why I didn’t use the Kilz primer in the sprayer too instead of buying spray cans. I just prefer it that way. The nozzle on the can is made for the thick oil based primer and works great. I also don’t want the chemical cleaning of the sprayer afterwords, which would be necessary to get out all the sticky oil-based paint. It’s so much easier to just clean it with water after using it with water-based paints.
Here are the 4 subtle pink colors I considered:
Oh and by the way did you know that Valspar has a Love Your Color Guarantee? Depending on your retailer they give you another can of paint if you didn’t like your first color.
Aren’t they all pretty and very similar?
Let me refresh your memory of what the dresser looked like before again:
It’s hard to take good photos with your iPhone while working on a project. And I didn’t want to drag my good camera into the mess.
I love taping drawers off with individual garbage bags. All you have to do is stick the drawers into the bag and tape the top. It works great:
Then I spayed the Kilz primer that I mentioned above. Lightly sanded and wiped it again with the tack cloth.
Before I started to spray the pink, I tried it on the back of the dresser to make sure the flow was good:
I also tried the varnish on the back before spraying it over the pink to make sure it was flowing right.
And boy was it good! It looks like it was always this color and changed the look and feel of the entire room:
I truly love how it turned out and the hubby and kids like it too.