When I have an idea stuck in my head then that’s what I want and I want it now! With the chalk paint it’s a little difficult because we don’t have a vendor in our area and that means I have to order it online, which then means that I have to wait. So that’s not my most favorite thing to do when I have an idea in my head. And I also don’t like that I can only pick the colors they have. When you make your own chalk paint you have a lot more freedom and the variety is a lot broader.
So here is my first DIY chalk paint attempt because I didn’t feel like waiting for the mail for chalk paint.
Pink and Gold Chalk Paint Dresser
This is what the dresser looked like before:
And this is what it looks like now after painting it with pink chalk paint and cleaning the brass hardware with some Brasso (HERE) and an old tooth brush. I also added some gold details to the drawers.
Tips and steps for painting a pink chalk paint dresser:
(Get the paint recipe and further instructions HERE)
- Clean the old dresser well with TSP (HERE) or Krud Kutter (HERE)
- Sand the dresser well with fine sandpaper.
- Wipe it with a tack cloth (HERE) to remove the fine debris and dust from sanding.
- No priming is needed with chalk paint, so just apply the paint with a chalk paint brush (HERE).
- Lightly sanding after drying is optional.
- Apply wax and buff (again check out this post HERE for more info)
It is lightly distressed but you can’t tell in the photos and I waxed it as well.
I have to say that I’m pretty happy with it. It’s cute isn’t it? Pink and gold painted furniture never goes out of style in my book.
DO YOU WANT TO READ ABOUT WHAT CHALK PAINT RECIPE I USED TO PAINT THIS DRESSER AND SOME WAXING TIPS? THEN CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT IT.
Or you can click HERE to get a list of the perfect subtle shades of pink so you can make you own pink chalk paint colors and to get some more pink chalk paint furniture ideas.